|auburnnothenna (auburnnothenna) wrote,|
@ 2015-12-01 20:59:00
I don't think I've ever had it together enough to post a wishlist before Christmas. Or I was embarrassed to some years, when money was super tight and I was running in the negative spoons when it came to doing things like art or fic.This year I was reminded and I'm doing it.
So, I'm going paraphrase (and even copy word for word) from settiai since her post explained so well.
How It Works:
Post to your blog with a list of ten things you want to receive for the holidays. They can be anything, from a personalized DW/LJ icon or drabble to a Maine Coon kitten - as long as all the items on the list are things that you genuinely want.
If there's anything on your list that needs to come to you through the mail, make your shipping address available, but please be safe about it and don't post that part publicly - just specify how people should go about getting it. (ETA: I'm going to stick mine under the cut, because I'll be moving after the new year so I'm not too worried about sharing it here.)
Look around your circle/dashboard/friends list for others who have posted the meme. (The more who do, the better this works, so encourage them!) If you see a wish you can grant, GO FOR IT. You might find a little thing you can do for free that will make someone happy, or you might just discover that a stranger is longing for the exact boxed set of DVDs that you no longer want.
Don't spend money unless you want to, and don't commit to more than you can handle without stressing yourself. There are no rules to this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. If someone surprises you with a gift certificate to the restaurant you never thought you'd get to go to, don't feel guilty or obliged to return the favor. The point is to spread around a lot of opportunities to grant wishes - use them as you see fit, and remember that your list gives those opportunities to others!
Dream big, but stay practical. If you really want the Mercedes, put the Mercedes on the list, but don't forget that you also really want some feedback on the story you wrote - so put that on the list too. It's fun to imagine something huge happening through this meme, but we all recognize the unlikelihood of it so make sure our friends still have a chance to do something thoughtful that's within their means.
Put limits on yourself for what, but not who: if you've decided that you can spend a few hours drawing a picture, but none of your friends are asking for one, keep looking for wishlists - you might even make a new friend or two! Ask people to link their lists for you, and don't be afraid to post your own in a few places.
Let's make some wishes come true this year!
And now, the list, under the cut:
1. Feedback and comments on stories, no matter how old. Additions, outtakes, what-ifs and art to anything I've written.
2. Perfume. I simply do not buy perfume. I really like it, but it is one of those things you can do without and so I never got in the habit. Or BPAL imps or bottles, something that didn't work for you might click with me. When I did have some perfume, I loved these two scents, www.cosmetique.com/black-velvet or Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent.
3. Gift cards, Amazon or Etsy, will be spent on pretty things. Or books. I have a problem. Kindle is the solution.
4. Gift cards from Lowes or Home Depot will be spent on kitchen renovation or painting the other rooms.
5. Book and music and fic recommendations with happy explanations of why I should read them. Fandom has led me to so much good music I never would have known about otherwise. I recently discovered the web comic Check Please! thanks to tumblr.
6. Candles, scented and not, long, tall, fat, squat, I like them all and can enjoy them now. Vanilla, cloves, and most any scent except bayberry.
7. Either of these two lamps, since I can't decide between them: Tiffany-style Dragonfly Table Lamp with Mosaic Base - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Tiffany Style Lighting or Warehouse of Tiffany Stella 12-inch Red Dragonfly Accent Lamp - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Warehouse of Tiffany Tiffany Style Lighting. This is kind of my Mercedes wish. But a gift card could go toward a purchase!
8. This bread bin from my Amazon wishlist. I'd open up my wishlist, but it's kind of a catch all. I don't want Santa to send me a drill attachment or bag of drywall mix frankly. And I'm probably buying the drywall mix tomorrow anyway.
9. Complete seasons of Leverage. Everyone loves it and I've never seen a single episode.
10. Uhm, well, I'm a simple person who doesn't want a lot of stuff. Surprise me. Send me a card and I'll be a happy.
My address, good until probably February:
15070 Maynard Road
Red Bluff, CA 9080-9494
This entry was originally posted at http://auburn.dreamwidth.org/315423.html. where there are comments. Comments are enabled on all cross posted journals.